Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The King of Schnorrers

For some time, driving down Route 32 in Columbia, Maryland, I would pass a sign that advertised Daedalus Books.  The sign said that by taking the next two right turns, one would discover a fantastic book lovers paradise.  Finally, after passing the sign for several years, I took the bait.  I made the two right turns and drove into the parking lot of a massive factory-type building. 

However, nowhere was there a sign saying that I was at Daedalus Books.  I asked someone.  "No. Never heard of it. Not here."

I backed out and drove hither and thither for a while, with no luck.  I still do not believe there is such a building for Daedalus Books.  However, I do know that there is a business with that name, because I get catalogs from them periodically.

Last month, I decided to try my luck at ordering some books from them.  Their prices are quite low and that appeals to the biblophile that I am.  I picked out ten books and sent off a check.   A few days later, I received a notice that eight of my book picks were not available.. but they would send me two of them, both by Jewish gentlemen.

One was by a Dr. Levi, who survived a German concentration camp.  The other was by a person named Israel Zangwill, a so-called Jewish-English author who wrote around the end of the 1800's. 

The Zangwill book that I received is called The King of Schnorrers. It was published in 2003 by Dover Publications, Inc.  ISBN: 0-486-42872-9 (pbk). 

I was very curious about this book.  I did not know what a Schnorrer was.  I soon found out that a schnorrer  is a beggar, a rather important person in the Jewish Ghetto of 1790 London.  To quote the cover write-up:  "Manasseh Bueno Barzillai Azevedo da Costa, (is) a proud, resourceful Sephardic schnorrer who lords it over his fellow mendicants in London of the late 1790's."

Think of Manasseh as a combination of Figaro, Jerry Falwell, Charles Ponzi, Sargeant Bilko, and Rod Blagojevich.  He is a person not to be messed with.  But don't be put off by this.  This is a funny story that I will not even begin to reveal.  You have to read it to appreciate it.  Suffice it to say that it is about tolerance and the understanding of others.

Israel Zangwill is a master wordsmith.  Just listen to this, the first paragraph of the book:

"In the days when Lord George Gordon became a Jew, and was suspected of insanity;  when, out of respect for the prophecies, England denied her Jews every civic right except that of paying taxes;  when the Gentleman's Magazine had ill words for the infidel alien; when Jewish marriages were invalid and bequests for Hebrew colleges void;  when a prophet prophesying Primrose Day would have been set in the stocks, though Pitt inclined his private ear to Benjamin Goldsmid's views on the foreign loans .. in those days, when Tevele Schiff was Rabbi in Israel, and Dr. de Falk, the Master of the Tetragrammaton, saint and Cabalistic conjuror, flourished in Wellclose Square, and the composer of 'The Death of Nelson' was a choir-boy in the Great Synagogue; Joseph Grobstock, pillar of the same, emerged one afternoon into the spring sunshine at the fag-end of the departing stream of worshippers.  In his hand was a large canvas bag, and in his eye a twinkle."

In one paragraph, Mr. Zangwill has given us an English history lesson and also led us through beautifully flowing language until we finally meet Mr. Grobstock and notice the twinkle in his eye.

This is a small book and can be devoured in a few pleasant hours.  I highly recommend it.

Israel Zangwill is also well-known for some potent sayings, among which are:

"Everything changes but change."

"Selfishness is the only real atheism; unselfishness the only true religion."

"A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it."

My life has been enriched by learning about Israel Zangwill.  I plan to read more of his many books.  His works are divided into two parts: English life stories;  Jewish ghetto life stories.  I hope to read both types.

................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment